Mexican Cartels: Corrupitng American Children

The innocence of a child is unparalleled. This innocence, sweetness, and purity are being plundered by financial insecurity in the United States. In Arizona, children as young as 12 are being recruited to smuggle drugs and weapons by cartels. Children who want to go to college, feed themselves, take care of their everyday needs, are allowing violence and drugs to enter their lives so they can afford to survive. 

It has become a social “norm” in some high schools to transport these drugs and weapons for cartels. By the time they reach high school, most students have already been recruited. 

While it is disheartening, there are not many programs to help these teens in distress. In reality, the law seems to have turned a blind eye to the children who need help. George Silva, the Santa Cruz County Attorney, said, “As the county attorney I have the option of charging juveniles as adults if they’re 14 years of age or older and they commit a class two felony.” Rather than helping teens, it is more likely they will be tried as adults. Therefore, they are becoming convicted felons for the rest of their lives.

According to a study done by MIT in 2015, it was discovered that placing kids in juvenile detention not only increases their chances to commit further crimes as an adult but also their chances of ever returning to high school decrease significantly. When children begin to engage in these activities with cartels, they are putting their futures on the line, even if it is simply out of necessity.

Luckily, a man named Alan Regalado, a Tucson Sector Border Patrol agent, noticed how many high school students had been recruited. While programs like D.A.R.E. exist, they are ineffective to teenagers who have already signed their lives away to drugs. As a result of this devastating trend, he decided to start a program called “Together Educating and Mentoring Kids”.

“Together Educating and Mentoring Kids” also known as T.E.A.M ensures children learn about how horrific cartels are as young as elementary school. He hopes that this will stop children from ever becoming involved with cartels. T.E.A.M. even offers a 

If we do not show sympathy and take action, increasingly more children and teens will succumb to financial pressures to engage in illegal activities to support themselves. We cannot ignore the cartels and the damage they are doing to corrupt our children.